Redefining my Nationalism : Volume 1

I have grown up with a high dose of nationalism. Feeling goosebumps at every flag hoisting ceremony, and eyes welling up with every patriotic song played at any time of the year, I could connect with each and every word of each and every song. Independence Day and Republic Day were the most awaited time of the year, not because of the sale, but, you know, a patriotic Indian. I was joyful and untouched in my own bubble for a long period of time and then LIFE HAPPENED.
I read. I watched videos. I saw the situation around me. Today, everything seems hollow. I cannot seem to connect with anything I used to be fond of, back when I was naive. It seems nationalism has changed its definition for me.

There has been one particular song that would make me cry every single time I heard it. It made me swell with pride. Today, it holds altogether a different meaning for me and  "I AM NOT EVEN SORRY"

Song: है प्रीत जहां की रीत सदा 
Film : Poorab Aur Paschim
Starring : Our Very Own Manoj 'Bharat' Kumar
Singer : Mahendra Kapoor
Lyricist : Indeevar
Music Director : Kalyanji Anandji


जब ज़ीरो दिया मेरे भारत ने
भारत ने मेरे भारत ने
दुनिया को तब गिनती आयी
तारों की भाषा भारत ने
दुनिया को पहले सिखलायी
देता ना दशमलव भारत तो
यूँ चाँद पे जाना मुश्किल था
धरती और चाँद की दूरी का
अंदाज़ा लगाना मुश्किल था

Thanks to Aryabhatta,Bhaskara,Sushruta,Charaka and many more, we have some major feathers in the cap 😏

सभ्यता जहाँ पहले आयी
पहले जनमी है जहाँ पे कला

We are ONE of the oldest, not the oldest civilization. Indus Valley Civilization, which by the way, also covered the modern day Afghanistan, lasted from 2600 BC to 1900 BC where as the Mesopotamian civilization is estimated to be around 3300 BC to 750 BC
Now since there were other civilizations prior to the Indus Valley Civilization, Art certainly did not start here. 

अपना भारत वो भारत है
जिसके पीछे संसार चला

Could be true to some extent, since we are ONE of the oldest civilizations 😁

संसार चला और आगे बढ़ा
यूँ आगे बढ़ा, बढ़ता ही गया
भगवान करे ये और बढ़े
बढ़ता ही रहे और फूले-फले

I whole heartedly wish so... 💗

है प्रीत जहाँ की रीत सदा
मैं गीत वहाँ के गाता हूँ
भारत का रहने वाला हूँ
भारत की बात सुनाता हूँ
है प्रीत जहाँ की रीत सदा...

Okay.. Tell me something more
काले-गोरे का भेद नहीं
हर दिल से हमारा नाता है

Let's face this. Indians are as racist as anyone could be.. This is 2019 and if we sit and discuss complexions at our zero hour talks and if a fair skinned actress is made up dark skinned, rather than a dark skinned actress being cast for that role, there is some serious problem with us.

कुछ और न आता हो हमको
हमें प्यार निभाना आता है

No. Seriously No. Everyone, including me, is selfish and OPPORTUNIST. We love others as and when the situation demands.

जिसे मान चुकी सारी दुनिया
मैं बात वो ही दोहराता हूँ
भारत का रहने वाला हूँ
भारत की बात सुनाता हूँ

Truth won't change with repeated lies 😐

जीते हो किसी ने देश तो क्या
हमने तो दिलों को जीता है

Really ? किसके दिलों को ? हमने ना  तो देश जीते हैं और ना  ही दिल. हमेशा से जाति और धर्म के  नाम  पर लड़ते मरते रहे हैं.

जहाँ राम अभी तक है नर में
नारी में अभी तक सीता है

Okay, First of all, Ram and Sita are very skewed for me. But even if we go by the general standards, राम विलुप्त हो चुके हैं और सीता धरती में समा चुकी हैं.  We come across several instances every day where people, men and women in common, show their cunningness, selfishness, and all the evil they possess.
I would call every man Kansa and every woman Manthara today. (You are free to come up with your own set of dark characters)

इतने पावन हैं लोग जहाँ
मैं नित-नित शीश झुकाता हूँ
भारत का रहने वाला हूँ
भारत की बात सुनाता हूँ


India is home to all kind of social evils. Domestic violence, Violence in General, Pseudo Feminism, and many more do not make any of us  पावन.


इतनी ममता नदियों को भी
जहाँ माता कह के बुलाते हैं

हाँ और उसी नदी को नाले से भी बदतर बना के रखते हैं.. अगर नदी को नदी  ही समझते और बुलाते तो हालात कुछ और ही  होते. 

इतना आदर इन्सान तो क्या
पत्थर भी पूजे जाते हैं

पत्थर 'हीं पूजे जाते हैं.  इंसानो की परवाह किसे है यहां 

इस धरती पे मैंने जनम लिया
ये सोच के मैं इतराता हूँ
भारत का रहने वाला हूँ
भारत की बात सुनाता हूँ

एक वक़्त था जब इतराती थी. I don't feel privileged or special, being an Indian, anymore. 

Comments