Are we a society competent enough?

Lately, I have been apprehensive about keeping myself updated with the current affairs. Every time that I try accessing any source of information, I come across a lot of crap. There is one basic issue and n number of people beating around the bush. With every "Faking News" being treated as a true incident, I don't think there's anything more left for Indians to become the stupidest that they could be. Today, Every person connects himself with some cult and blames the other for not following his ideologies. There had been a lot of hue and cry some years back when Aamir Khan had said that India was growing intolerant. I had not seen any flaw in his statement then, I don't see any flaw in his statement now. If I utter a single statement against the ongoing system of our society, I am questioned on my patriotism and made to see Pakistan and Middle East countries dealing with anarchy and how people are not given freedom to do anything. I am made to realize how blessed I am to be in India, where I am not jailed for speaking my mind. I am not here to blame any political party or religious group. I am here not to discuss how competent our government is. I am also not here discussing how rational we should be in our lives. What deeply concerns me today is where are we heading towards as a society. When did we become so progressive that we stopped feeling the pain all around us ?? How did proving ourselves right become the sole motive of our lives ??

 A girl is raped one day. It is a burning issue. Everyone, right from celebrities to common man is outspoken about that. Next day, when we hear about another rape case, all we talk about is how this issue was given less importance than the earlier one because the victim belonged to some different religion or geographical location. No one is actually concerned about the victim or crime. No one talks about how can we, the educated lot, help our society grow and flourish. What is the debatable topic everywhere is, whether Death penalty is a suitable punishment or not, as if we know the best! We have been killing people for consuming beef, forgetting there are many who haven't had even rice for days. The morphed pictures and videos do rounds in the social media, fueling everyone with wrong news and corrupting everyone's thoughts. There's one group instigating hatred in the others mind and heart while trying to prove they are the best, and the other group doing exactly the same thing. While abusing and blaming the political parties, we have completely ignored the social evils we have been dealing with from time eternity.

The entire nation is having strong opinion about having Jinnah and Savarkar's portraits hung in India. I don't understand what good or bad is it doing ? Let the portraits be hung on the walls where they have always been. Go, help someone who needs your voice to get uplifted ! No body hears the cries of a tormented person, but laughing at Rahul Gandhi and Biplab Deb's statement is something we never miss. Never even once has Our honorable prime minister been not rebuked for the failure of Namami Gange plan, yet we don't take a small initiative, not to litter around us. Everyone has high opinions about women empowerment and a few people even go to the extent to call themselves a feminist. Yet, we don't shy away from taking Dowry. Corruption and Pollution are at all time high. There has been an exponential increase in rapes, murders and honor  killings. Yet, all that matters to us is that how could we defend our ideologies by blaming the other party for everything. Its a very sad state of our society today and I feel sorry to say that we don't see humanity in any human anymore.

I remember writing various essays on the prevailing social evils in our society as a kid. Education came as an only solution for all of them then. Today, I wonder why haven't we been able to even reduce any of them ? We are all educated and well off. We have the power to do anything we want to.  Why can't we help our society move in a positive direction then ?? Will we ever stop fighting over caste, religion, politics and all other baseless issues and focus on something constructive? Its high time we take a break from everything and do some serious thinking.

Comments