Bollywood love Vs Real Love

The title of the post itself reflects its content. Looking at a five years younger me, I had never thought back then, there would be a day when I actually question Bollywood gyaan on love and romance. Being fed the staple diet of Yash Raj Films, Dharma Productions and Rajshree Productions to name a few, all my life for 25 damn years, all the formula of romance was kind of programmed into me.. I also wonder how did  I unprogramme myself. Well, I guess, a dose of reality was sufficient for that. Today, I feel sick of even thinking how my brain had been designed to imagine the illusion and create a masterpiece romantic out of me.. When I had a brush with the reality, I realized :

  • There's no "happily ever after" funda in life : Life is a sinusoidal curve. You get to live the ups and downs of every emotion everyday. You might love a person to the extreme at one moment, but that doesn't guarantee that you would not have negative emotions for him

  • Saavan Barse Ghabraye Dil : Yes, I do like rain but only when I have the four wall protection.. Rain brings the temperature down, spreads the fragrance of the earth, makes the greenery greener around you,but it surely does annoy you when your clothes are crushed under the raincoat and you have to worry about protecting your super expensive leather bag. Also, common cold does not let the hangover go for several days...


  • Aankhon hi aankhon me ishara nahi hota : You need to speak out your heart as well as the mind.. no one's a mind reader. Happy or sad, angry or guilty, you need to express your emotions in order to have a clear communication between the two of you.

  • Beauty is only skin deep : All thanks to the films for setting wrong expectations.. If you fall for someone just for their looks, you are the biggest jerk.. Life's much more than outward appearances...

  • Fasting for husband is nowhere close to being romantic :  I am made to fast on Teej (read under compulsion) and many other occasions and let me tell you, when your stomach is grumbling and the mind is constantly on what you are gonna eat the next day, you don't feel an iota of romance. It rather irks you when you see your husband eating whatever he wants to, guilt free. Also, a majority of husbands DON'T fast along with their wives.. there is hardly a bunch of lucky ladies out there....

  • Hum intazar nahi kar payenge Qayamat tak : Once you are away from your lover for any of the reasons, you tend to move on.. That's why only a small fraction of long distance relationships sustains in reality and the love story is actually termed as a Bollywood romance.

  • Akele Hain to Bahut Gham Hain : Its practically not feasible to go against your family, elope and live happily in the woods. You might succeed in marrying,but there would be other struggles where, at times, you repent your decision.

  • Violins certainly don't play when we fall in love : The feeling of romance does take us into a euphoric state,but there is certainly no music in the background. I personally kept looking for some signal to know that I was in love, but it was ultimately my behavioural change that made me realize that I was there :D

After being fooled time and again, I today feel that it is okay to enjoy the filmy romance, but only on the 70 mm screen. All the complexities occur once you try adopting it in your life. 

Comments